Sunday, April 7, 2013

Nerd Nook Newbies - The Return


Welcome to another addition of Nerd Nook Newbies. It's been a few weeks since I posted an update.  Recently I have been focusing my attention on Super Powers exclusively and haven't added very much "other" stuff. I figured I'd use this opportunity to resurrect Newbies and showcase a few of my newest Super Powers goodies.

Newbie #1 - 3rd Series, 33 Back Super Powers Superman
3rd series Superman is THE rarest US card variation for Superman. Unfortunately 3rd series bubbles were prone to yellowing. Most collectors agree this is due to lesser quality materials being used as the line was wrapping up and cost were being cut. Ironically the fact that cost were being cut is also what resulted in the "cleanest" looking presentation of the figures. 
Above is a photo comparison of the 3rd series, 33 back (left) and 1st series, 12 back (right). You can notice that the fan club and promotional information are not present on the 33 back. The free comic was also eliminated. I believe it allows for the nicest looking cardback.

I psyched to have this! Superman is my favorite character from the line so it was kind of a must have for me!

Newbie #2 - European Tri Lingual Wonder Woman
This is a pretty neat foreign variation. This figure has writing in 3 different languages, it is attached to a much smaller card, and includes a free poster of the character as well as the free comic. A very cool addition to my foreign collection.

Newbie #3 - 12 Back Steppenwolf Offer Joker Cromalin
This is probably the coolest and most exciting recent acquisition of mine. I'm sure you've noticed that no figure exists here. That is because this is a cromalin. Cromalins were used by Kenner to make corrections to the card before it was approved.  These items all come from an ex Kenner employee who held onto them for 20+ years. They are a really awesome piece of Super Powers history and look amazing on display. The colors are very bright and vibrant. For me to score one of my favorite villains (Joker) was incredible!

So that does it for this Newbies update. Hope you enjoyed a glimpse into my Super Powers collection.
 

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I cannot tell you how much I love, love, love that Joker cromalin. The other two pieces are super nice as well. Great scores, my friend.
    Nate

    ReplyDelete