Friday, November 30, 2012

My journey into the Super Powers Collection...

By Kenner
Its tough to crank out quality blog posts when I know very few people will actually read them but what the heck, here goes nothin. . .
My passion for all things 80s has been with me for as long as I can remember. There are many toy lines, movies, and TV shows from the 80s that are near and dear to my heart.  So I ask myself "self why the Super Powers lines to start off the collection?" Well the answer is simple, nostalgia.  Of course all the other lines like He-Man, Thundercats, Real Ghostbusters, TMNT bring back great memories. But the Super Powers line does that and then some.  I think this is based totally on a large source of my nostalgia, my big bro. We were super close in age and are one other's keeper of the flame (memories).  We babble on whenever we can about the good old days firing off quotes, discussing collectibles, and our collections we amassed. Wow, now I'm rambling. Anyway we were both huge Super Hero fans and remain so to this day. So as you can imagine we absolutely LOVED the Super Powers line. 
So this summer while reading up on the lines I chose to go after a Super Powers Batman I came across. I didn't know much about what I was getting, I just knew I wanted this particular figure for some time. I purchased the figure and the rest as they say was history.  I joined a forum which can be found on this website: http://www.kennersuperpowers.com/ where collectors who know loads about this line discuss their collections and the intricacies involved in collecting this line. I am planning to showcase more individual figures and get into more specifics. For now I'll end with this photo of my batman shelf and a brief description of what is on it....

  

From left to right I have the Canadian slim or short carded example. This particular one is graded an 85 excellent near mint by the Action Figure Authority. The slim cards were sold at gas stations and were smaller to take up less room.  Next I have my first series 12 back fan club offer which features one of my all time favorite Batman illustrations EVER.  To me it is the quintessential Batman.  The colors are awesome and really bring out the Super Powers art.  Moving on from there I have the uber rare Canadian Poster Offer Batman. I was lucky enough to snag this guy from one of the members of the forum i mentioned above. Thanks Matt! Finally I have an Argentinian Batman by Playful.  I like how these cards say "Amigos" instead of "Powers".

So that's it for my first of many posts about this Super Powers line. If you wanna see more of my collection check out www.coolandcollected.com . My collection was featured on the sites "Collector Profile" section.  It's an awesome site for any pop culture enthusiast.

Until next time. . . .





4 comments:

  1. I wish every time I walked into a gas station I saw a Batman figure for sale...

    You come off as someone who has a lot of passion for collecting. I personally only collect newer stuff but I have always been curious about the older generations of toys that came before. Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, gas station batmans would be pretty cool. I'm putting up my two thoughts on a new figure tomorrow. New 52 Justice League Darkseid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still don't own a Super Powers Batman!

    I did recently acquire the Super Powers Batmobile however, and it is a thing of beauty! http://toyriffic.blogspot.com/2012/06/kenner-super-powers-batmobile.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out that link. You got an amazing score!

      Delete